Officially, this dish is usually called tomates a la chilena (tomatoes Chilean style), but it is such a favorite in Chile that it is usually referred to simply as ensalada chilena (Chilean salad). It serves as a reminder that sometimes simplicity is the key to perfection when dealing with fresh ingredients.
How to Make Chilean Salad
Check below for printable version of this Chilean Salad
- 2-3 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) chopped cilantro (coriander leaves)Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange them on a serving platter. Place the onion slices in a colander and rinse them, first under hot tap water, then under cold water. Pat dry and arrange on the tomatoes. Drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with the remaining ingredients. Allow the flavors to combine for 15 minutes and serve at room temperature. Serves 4 to 6.