This recipe is really all about the traditional boiled dressing which can also be used to make chicken and potato salads.
Coleslaw with Boiled Dressing Recipe
How to Make Coleslaw with Boiled Dressing
Check below for printable version of this Coleslaw with Boiled Dressing
Coleslaw with Boiled Dressing
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) water
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) sugar
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) dry mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste1/2 cup (125 ml) heavy cream or half-and-half
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) butter
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 lbs (900 g) shredded cabbage
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded carrots
- Whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar, flour, mustard, salt, and pepper in a small pot until smooth. Place over moderate heat and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Add the cream and butter, whisking until the butter melts and is incorporated. Stir a little of the hot mixture into the eggs, then transfer the egg mixture to the pot. Reduce the heat to low and continue whisking until the sauce thickens-do not boil. Transfer to a bowl and cool to room temperature. Toss with the shredded cabbage and carrots and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Serves 8 to 12.