Perfection Salad is truly an American classic. It won third prize in a contest sponsored by Charles Knox of Knox Gelatine fame in 1905. The first and second prize winners have been lost to time, but Mrs. John E. Cooke of New Castle, Pennsylvania’s recipe lives on.
Perfection Salad Recipe
How to Make Perfection Salad
Check below for printable version of Perfection Salad
- 1 envelope (1 Tbs, 15 ml) unflavored gelatin
- 1 3/4 cups (450 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vinegar
- 1 Tbs (15 ml) lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (190 ml) finely shredded cabbage
- 1 cup (250 ml) finely diced celery
- 1 4 oz (100 g) jar pimiento
- Combine the gelatin, 1/2 cup (125 ml) water, and the sugar in a small saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, over low heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the remaining water, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Chill to the consistency of raw egg whites and fold in the cabbage, celery, and pimiento. Pour into a 5 cup mold or into individual molds and chill until firm. Serve on a bed of lettuce and top with a little mayonnaise. Serves 4 to 6.