17.06.2020 – 11:03
tips & tricks
Swollen? So you can drain your body
It’s an unpleasant feeling, isn’t it? Your body stores water, you feel uncomfortable and bloated. This is caused by water retention in the tissues. We’ll tell you what you can do about it.
Water retention in the tissue is extremely unpleasant: You feel swollen, and affected areas of the body – mostly arms, legs, hands, feet and the stomach – look unattractive. They are also a real risk to your health, especially to your heart and blood circulation. However, there are ways to reduce the dehydrate bodies can.
Drain the body? Not suitable for everyone!
Very important! Many people suffer from water retention, but drainage is not advisable for everyone. This is true, for example, for those whose water retention is the result of health problems – such as kidney failure or cirrhosis of the liver. If you are not completely fit in terms of health, you should never carry out a drainage on your own. In this case you must consult your doctor first! This also applies to pregnant women. If you suddenly notice swelling on certain parts of your body, you should go directly to the doctor anyway.
If you are healthy and want to lose weight, however, drainage can be quite helpful. Overweight is not only caused by abdominal fat and co., but also by water retention, which has made itself comfortable between the fat deposits. In order to exclude health risks, however, you should still talk to a doctor and find out whether dehydration is sensible in your case.
By the way: Draining the body does not only help to lose weight. Besides the excess water, toxins are also flushed out of the body. After such a cure you should feel more balanced and vital.
When you can think about draining
Actually, our body manages to regulate the water balance quite well by itself. The body of an adult normally contains around 65 percent water.
In the case of diseases around the heart or kidney or during pregnancy, however, water can accumulate in the body. It is therefore – and we would like to repeat this – absolutely essential that you consult your doctor and have yourself examined beforehand so that diseases or even pregnancy can be ruled out. Do not start just like that!
If the doctor gives his yes, so if it is temporary water retention, then you can start. Affected here are mainly people who sit or stand a lot. Where the water accumulates is different. In many cases the legs are affected, but fingers can also swell.
Gentle drainage: That’s how it works!
Actually, the process of dewatering is not that complicated. Integrate the following points into your daily routine:
- Drink plenty! Make sure you drink enough liquid – as paradoxical as this may sound. If you lose too much fluid, the potassium level in the body can rise dangerously, which can be bad for the heart, among other things. Drink the following during dehydration at least three litres a day – preferably water, fruit spritzer or unsweetened herbal tea. In this way you flush the body, kidneys and digestive tract and stimulate the metabolism. You will find the best thirst quenchers here. However, please note that you should also not drink excessively. Up to four liters are okay at times. Three liters is a good guideline though. You should also drink about two litres of water or unsweetened herbal teas a day. If you find it difficult to drink enough fluids, we have here are some tips to help you drink more.
- Enough exercise: No stopping! Cycling, walking and yoga are perfect physical activities for the time of dehydration. If you still need ideas for them, we present ten types of Yoga. And a massage afterwards, such as a foot reflexology massage, can help to bring the lymphatic system back into shape.
- No-Gos: Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks at all costs. Sugar and salt should also be avoided, as both bind water in the body and can stand in the way of a successful drainage cure. Therefore, make sure to avoid foods containing sugar and salt for the time being.
These tips are essential if you want to drain successfully. If you want to optimize the result, you should also include the following foods in your diet. The ingredients also have a draining effect and, just like the liquid you drink, they flush excess water and toxins from the body.
Three liters of water a day is not your thing? In the video we show you seven teas that can help you lose weight.
These foods dehydrate the body:
- Herbs: basil, nettle, ginger, dandelion, parsley, lemon balm
- Vegetables: fennel, cucumber, lettuce, pumpkin, carrots, sauerkraut, asparagus, tomatoes, zucchini
- Fruit: pineapple, pears, strawberries, raspberries, currants, watermelon, lemon
- Miscellaneous: Potatoes, rice
Overall, you should not overdo it with the drainage cure. A few days of body dehydration is quite sufficient. It is even better to take one day off a week and only drain on this day. Great is about one Rice Day.
More on the subject Diets wanted? Our topic page provides information.