Waldorf Salad has been served on special occasions in my parents’ home for as long as I can remember. The original was created in 1893 by Oscar Tschirky at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. His creation consisted only of apples, celery, and mayonnaise. The nuts were added later and have since become considered a standard ingredient.
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced red-skinned apples
- 1 cup (250 ml) diced celery
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) walnut or pecan meats
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) mayonnaise
- Combine all ingredients and serve chilled. Serves 4 to 6.